Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Reports from Around the World

Our Paraclete associates have been all over the place this year!

One of our associates taught in India and sent the following written testimony from a woman who attended his training. She serves with an effective college evangelism ministry there.

. . . I used to be very strong in worshipping idols and rituals. But still I felt empty in my heart. Many times I felt my life is going meaningless. Now I can be sure that my life has become meaningful. . . [Christ] has helped me control my anger. And my parents and my friends recognized the change in me. . .God has called me for His ministry according to Matthew 9:37. . . . I married and God has blessed us with a [three year old] son . . . . As a family we are here to study God's word.

From an associate's report about his ministry in Croatia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Slovenia:

A week ago as I left a pastor's family in Romania that has had a particularly difficult time in their church where the man was the pastor until recently. His wife said to me that she could believe that I had come all that way just to spend time with them! ...personally I think it says so much about our ministry [because of] the loneliness of ministry and lack of pastoral care in the communities we serve.

.... Today I have received an encouraging letter from my national friend in southern Serbia, which I often describe as a spiritual wasteland, thanking me for opening up some hidden opportunities for them to communicate the Gospel in a difficult arena. It was also great to see some significant progress being made on a Christian Camp ground that I have been involved for many years and witness some vision emerging from the gloom.

Two days in Bosnia reminded me of the enormous challenge for the Gospel in this country ( 4 million pop and maybe 500 believers ) that is believed to be on the verge of more political/ethnic trouble- this means lonely discouraged pastors and missionaries. At the beginning of the trip I enjoyed presenting building plans to the board of a church in Croatia that an architect friend had drawn up - the building engineer in me has re-emerged and its a privilege to serve a growing church in the region.

Another couple has been training church planting teams in India and Bangladesh and asks for prayer as the teams implement what they have learned, harvest the fruits of recent months of evangelism and organize new churches while they prepare to celebrate Christmas with their believers.

Many of our missionaries come alongside by encouraging leaders of missions and Christian organizations. One couple is based in Austria, another currently serves in Thailand. Another couple has a full time ministry of walking with a number of leaders and missionaries who are seeking renewal in their walks with the Lord.


One of our associates is traveling to Egypt in the Spring to offer her counseling skills to missionaries and Christian workers there. Many of our people, whether they are psychologists or not, often serve as counselors, encouragers and mentors. One is a veteran pastor, much in demand for training pastors around the world, many of whom have never attended seminary. His knowledge of scripture, authority in teaching, his ability to forge long-lasting friendships and mentoring relationships as well as his gentle, sensitive spirit make an impact that keeps on growing, long after he has left.

Several others have temporairily taken over the leadership of small, struggling missions to get them on their feet. It's exciting to hear how God is using them and how their efforts are being multiplied. What a way to maximize Kingdom effectiveness!

This is just a peek at what some of our associates are involved in. Your prayers and financial support of our work, helps facilitate all of the above and much, much more!

No comments: