On June 20, 2022, at 7:15 pm Norman V. Cook, heard his Savior say, "Well done, good and faithful servant"!
Earlier in the month, the doctor determined that Dad had a leaky heart that was making his breathing very difficult and contributing to extreme weakness in his legs, among other things. It was enormously hard for our father, a lifelong athlete, even to walk. On Tuesday morning June 14, he passed out. Hospice evaluated his condition and told us that he was nearing the end. Milei and Scott arrived that evening from Long Beach, CA and I flew in the next day. Glen arrived in the wee hours of June 19, shortly before Dad breathed his last. Dad was sedated and rested comfortably the whole time. He didn't say anything during those six days--but he didn't have to. Nothing had been left unsaid.
After our mom died in June 2019 Dad continued living in his home in Portland. Up until the COVID-shutdown in March of 2020, he was active in his church and attended all sports events possible at Multnomah University, where he taught missions for more than three decades. He read voraciously and found particular pleasure in reading long biographies of historical figures. But he loved his Bible best.
This classic image of Dad in his robe (at right), reading his Bible early one morning in 2016 was a familiar scene to all of us.
For two years Dad was comfortable in his home with housemate, Jonathan Noble, a Multnomah University graduate, and Heather Hall, a wonderful young RN, with a missionary heart, providing care most days.
Milei (from California) and I (in Colorado) checked in by phone every day. About the same time the pandemic started, we began a daily Zoom call with him, reading the Bible and taking turns praying for up to an hour every afternoon. We continued that for two years and four months including the afternoon before he became unconscious. By June 13 (we read Job 1-6), we had read through the Bible 2.5 times (alternating between Old and New Testament books)! Dad set his watch by those calls. We often got peeks into his heart and thoughts as he shared his prayer requests and told us who had called, written, or visited. His most frequent request was to be fully present and to be a blessing! The three of us said "I love you," daily!
A year ago, Dad's care situation changed. Scott and Milei's oldest daughter, Timbre, and her new husband, Greg, moved in to take care of Dad. Timbre and Greg provided meals, some daytime care, as well as all nighttime care. Home Instead, a care-giving company, filled in the holes. Both Milei and Scott, Glen and I visited as often as we could.
Glen and I could never have continued our work and ministry if it weren't for Scott Yardley, Milei's husband, who managed Dad's finances, his healthcare and many other details. Scott and Milei worked with Home Instead and other friends to cover Dad's care. The last week of Dad's life, Scott slept in a bed right next to him, administering medication, available for any need. Timbre and her husband lovingly cared for him for nearly a year--their first year of marriage! We are so grateful for this wonderful family who loved Dad so very well.
I miss him. I miss the prayer he daily lifted up on our behalf. Last week, as Glen and I prepared to teach Crossing Cultures to missionary appointees at MAF, I realized that it was the first time I had done public ministry without Dad and Mom's loving, consistent prayers! I'm so thankful for those prayers and grateful for loving friends and family members picking up that prayer burden!
(For more details and pictures of Dad's life and work, check out the posts from OC Int'l president, Dean Carlson, Multnomah University and former colleague, Garry Friesen.)

3 comments:
Lots of love and prayers. Cliff and Melinda
Praying grace, peace, and blessings in each new day.
Love in the Lord, Chuck
I love your Dad's prayer request of always being fully present. He was such a wonderful man and prayer warrior for us. Love, Hope
Post a Comment