Monday, April 01, 2013

Glen's Health

The last two months have been something of a roller coaster, health-wise.  In January my dermatologist stopped UV-B light treatments for my skin lymphoma (CTCL).  We saw continued improvements in some residual scarring until early March when it seemed that the CTCL was returning.  That suspicion was confirmed by my dermatologist, and we decided for me to use a steroid cream instead of more light treatments. The light treatments are effective on existing and emerging spots, but expensive.  The cream is inexpensive, but only works after the cancer emerges.  Both could have long-term side effects, and my doc thinks it will be a long-term effort to control this.  Pray with us for wisdom. 

While dealing with the CTCL I've also had bouts with an inflamed toe, hypertension and a vitreous detachment of one eye.  Everything is improving, but I'm in shock with so many health issues all at the same time.
Shelly and Glen in Florida for Dad Volkhardt's Memorial
My doctors and doctor friends don't see any connection between these issues, but I'm assuming that stress is an aggravating factor in all of them.  I'm now a gym member!  That's a first.  And I've redoubled my commitment to spiritual formation.  It helps that I can view the stress in my work as an investment in the Kingdom (see our 2012 Annual Report), but I'm still working on stress reduction.  His "yoke is easy," but the yokes I take on are not. People tell me I don't look sick!  And honestly, the toe has caused more pain than the more serious issues.  

No comments: