Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mentoring

One of the things we firmly believe in is encouraging others in the Lord. It really is a Paraclete (coming alongside) thing to do. Glen is mentoring several people both locally and long distance. We've also learned of others that look to him as a mentor without a formal relationship.

I also spend a lot of time meeting one-on-one or in small groups with women who want to grow in their walk with God. It's one of my favorite things to do! The women range in age from early twenties to older than me! Women's burdens are so heavy. Right now in the group of Army wives, four of the girls' husbands are in Afghanistan. The danger their men face everyday is traumatic for these young women, trying to manage a household alone and be mom and dad to their tiny children. Because of their difficult situations, they are so open to learning spiritual principles to help them face their challenges. It is a privilege to hold them up in prayer. One of the girls' is a chaplain's wife. Her husband is finding some men hungry for God. He has had the joy of leading weary, scared soldiers to Christ, and even of baptizing them in a hole in the sand behind the tent they use as a chapel!

One of the girls wrote: "After putting [our son] down for his morning nap, I grabbed [the book you assigned us] and cracked it open. I knew I needed God in a real way today. I was weeping before finishing the first page. After many tears, Kleenex, and reading the first chapter, I prayed, ‘Lord, I need you! Please come!’. Almost instantly I felt God say, ‘I’m here, my child.’ Immediately, I felt Him and peace flowed through me rather than discontent, frustration and guilt. So, today I’m praying that [our son] takes LONG naps so I can continue to devour this book. God is using it to speak to me and draw me closer to himself which is what I desperately need right now. Thank you for your wisdom to buy us each a copy and thank you for listening today; I really appreciate it."

The beauty is that as I give to others, I also have the privilege of being mentored! My desire to grow in my walk with God, become more like Jesus and be salt, light and fragrance in a lost world continues to increase and I am so thankful for women who build into my life!

No comments: