Between the two retreats I visited with as many friends and supporters as possible. It was good to see so many people!
Back to All Recent Posts
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Hispanic Women's Retreats
I had the privilege of speaking to two groups of Hispanic women at Jenness Christian Camp in the Gold Country of California. The retreats were sponsored by the Hispanic Southern Baptist Women of California, they call the event CAFEBAUCA-"Campamento Femenil Bautista de California." The first weekend we had 480 ladies and the second we had 325. Five women made first time confessions of faith! We never had less than 30 at the altar after each meeting and at times there were many more. The committee, seminar leaders and I prayed with countless women. They had come prepared to do serious business with God. It was amazing to hear testimonies of lives transformed, new commitment to marriages, healed relationships between mothers and daughters. One of my joys was to be able to walk a woman through leaving her horrible guilt and shame at Jesus' feet and be free to be what He wants her to be!
I spoke five times each weekend and counseled many one-on-one. What a thrill to have a small part in what God is doing in women's lives! One highlight was the Saturday evening program. The women dressed in their finest outfits--red, black or white. Women came in formal dresses (some even floor length) with feathers, flowers, sequins, fur, fringes, and other sparkly things! The ladies threw themselves into it with fancy hairdos, painted nails, spectacular shoes (on dusty camp paths!) and lovely jewelry. It was all meant to build excitement for a different missions project each weekend. I spoke on reflecting the heart of God in mission outreach and they gave--no matter how poor they were, several thousand dollars were raised each weekend. I felt ashamed of the lack of enthusiasm there is among many non-Hispanic groups about missions.
Between the two retreats I visited with as many friends and supporters as possible. It was good to see so many people!
Between the two retreats I visited with as many friends and supporters as possible. It was good to see so many people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment