Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Zooming

Yes, Zoom has become a verb, like "FaceTime me", "Skype him" and "bookmark it."   We've always been able to zoom around to get places faster, but now we all Zoom around to connect at a distance.  In case you missed it in the travel discernment post, here's how a friend ranks Zoom and old-school get togethers:

  1. I go to you.
  2. You come to me.
  3. We meet somewhere together.
  4. We zoom!
Paraclete International Headquarters
But these days we are thanking God for 4th-rate options!  It's way better than what we had just a few years ago.

Since I was spending so much time on Zoom, I decided to spend some money on lights, mic and camera.  There is not much that I can do with my face!  I was once told that I had a face for radio! 😁  I think I was being insulted, but it wasn't a bad thing, since I was working in a radio station!  So at least people can identify who I am these days.

Telecommuting is nothing new for Paraclete.  We were using Zoom as our corporate phone system long before COVID.  And we were blessed to be accustomed to working from home before the pandemic.  Paraclete closed its physical office in 2012 to prepare for scalable growth.  We've had to make a lot of  COVID pivots, but telecommuting was not one of them!

While Zoom leaves a lot to be desired, it turns out to enhance certain "meetings".  Shelly has found that some of the ladies she works with feel freer to go deep quickly on Zoom.  Why is that?  Maybe the safety of their own home?  In working with it for a while now, I have concluded that the human tolerance for staring into a camera on a teleconference is about two hours.  Ninety minutes is better.  So another positive of the new technology is that longer meetings--like some board meetings and candidate interviews--get broken up into more humane blocks.  If people had a button to push to make themselves disappear in face-to-face meetings, we'd probably shorten them too! 



No comments: