I climbed on the plane with a mission: write as many letters and thank-you notes as possible during the two and a half hour flight. The woman who was to be my seat mate greeted me with, "I hope you're ready to TALK because I've been quiet for the last FOUR hours!" My heart sank!
Glen and I were traveling to Oregon in early October to care for my Dad so his caregiver could make a two week trip home. I'm always struggling trying to keep up with correspondence, and air travel (if I'm not prepping for a conference) is ideal to put my head down and write as much as I can.
After buckling in and wiping down our seats, tray tables, etc...I informed her that I had a lot of work to do, but would be delighted to chat until take-off.
I learned that she was an author and Christian Counselor traveling from the East Coast to meet a new grandbaby. When she learned what I do--mentor and encourage women (here and around the world) to grow in Christ--she nearly jumped out of her seat with joy! She shared that there are no mature women in her church and asked a lot of questions about mentoring.
I managed to write 15 letters/notes and we finished our conversation as we landed. When she asked me if we could chat again, I happily gave her my contact info, knowing that, like most others who do that, it would be the last time we ever talked. Much to my surprise, she texted me after returning home and asked for a phone appointment. I fully expected that she would want me to coach her on how to begin a mentoring program at her church!
Instead, SHE wanted to be mentored! Soon, I had my Bible open and we had a very significant conversation. After giving her an assignment to complete, I told her she was free to contact me again when she had finished the work. Just last week, I received the following text from her:
"Hello dear friend and mentor! Wanted to check in and report that God has been showing me so many verses on Praising Him (a Holy Habit we talked about cultivating) ...I'm journaling them daily! It's been amazing ...will chat with you after Thanksgiving my friend! Praising God for you today!!! I've been passing on everything you've shared with me with the ladies God has entrusted to me! Miraculous healing and deliverance (taking place in a situation, that we had discussed, between her and a significant family member) ...it has been transformational to us both ...God is healing and created a sweetness that has never been! He is so great!"
Only God could interrupt MY plans and turn an encounter on an airplane into a ministry opportunity with widening ripples of impact! I am blessed and humbled!!

No comments:
Post a Comment