Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Retreats in the Time of COVID (With Videos)

How do you do a women's retreat AND social distance?

In September, I did three retreats back-to-back. Each one was different.  The retreats had been on my calendar for at least a year.  When Covid hit, I fully expected them to be canceled like all the other conferences that were on my schedule.  BUT in this season, women are starving for connection and encouragement.  So, creative options were the next best thing.  

Rocky Mountain Calvary Chapel, just a few miles from us, hosted an in-person retreat instead of going away to their favorite venue in the Rocky Mountains.  175 of us met in their 1,000 person sanctuary.  Everyone wore masks until they got to their seats.  On our name tags, we could put a sticker that said "Hug" or "No Hug".  Afterwards, I wished I had circled my name tag with "Hug" stickers!  There was something strong and sweet about meeting, once again, with women who love Jesus after no contact for more than six months!  The worship was powerful too!  I hadn't sung with a group since March!  The setting was challenging as the 175 women spread out across the auditorium.  I couldn't see faces more than the first few rows back, so relating to the audience was extremely challenging.  It didn't FEEL like the messages came alive.  But the response from women told a different story. If you'd like to watch any of the messages here's where you can find them:

The first half hour is a worship session, followed by the message.  I'm profoundly grateful that God works in spite of us and through our human frailties!  

The retreat for the next weekend was supposed to be held in a church, but the church canceled the event in late Spring.  Our friends, who invited me, decided that they would go ahead and host a smaller event in their home.  We gathered on a Saturday and had a sweet time of fellowship.  I spoke twice and facilitated a Praying In Color session. 

The next weekend was all online. The event was planned by a missionary from El Salvador, stuck in the United States because of COVID and the martial law imposed by the government there.  The group of women leaders met for three days via Zoom. Some were pastor's wives, others missionaries either in El Salvador or grounded in the United States.  We all came hungry for community and the Word.  I spoke 4 times, facilitated 4 hours of discussion, and led a Praying in Color session.  We even did communion "together", each in our homes.  Needless to say I was exhausted when the weekend was over!  The online conference was the most challenging of all. It was difficult to read faces online and sense what they were feeling and thinking. However, I believe the Lord used it.  

One woman had been locked down in El Salvador with her family of four. She could only go out to buy food and if she could prove that they needed food.  The government had ordered violators to be shot!  Another one, was in her home with seven children, and another family locked in like that for five months!  



After the message on Living Hope and our Shame, one of them sent this picture of the pile of tissues she used during the session with a note saying:

Well...I cannot see (crying so much)...Don't think I realized how much I struggle with shame.  Lord, please help me, humble me, sanctify me in truth!

Another text read:  "God is ministering to my soul through Shelly and His spoken Word!"

So, even in the midst of Covid, God is opening doors for ministry!  Please pray that we'll be faithful and strong to follow through on the opportunities He provides.  

No comments: