Much about ministry life is serious but not all! I often open retreat messages with a "Most Embarrassing Moment." Glen thinks the title is funny because I have so many, how can each of them be the MOST embarrassing? But, at the time, they are!
The venue for the first conference I spoke at in Mexico was a sports club about three hours drive from the church in Mexico City. When we arrived, I was impressed by how beautifully the grounds were kept. The staff always seemed to be cleaning and working on something. The entire staff knew that we were a group of women from Evangelical churches and I was determined that we make an impact for the Lord's name-that we would stand out.
The morning the ladies arrived, I excitedly asked if I could do something to help prepare to receive them. I was assigned the job of dividing sandwiches, without a knife! I quickly ran to the restroom to wash my hands. I was a bit startled to find a young man diligently mopping the floor. As I carefully scrubbed, I bubbled with excitement and thanks. I told him how beautiful the grounds were and how impressed and grateful our team was by their dedication to cleanliness! As I quickly turned to run out the door, he looked at me and said, "But, Señora, this is the MEN'S ROOM!"
I burst out laughing and rushed back to "break" the sandwiches, giggling at how dumb I must have looked to the young cleaner! I definitely achieved my goal of standing out, but not the way I had hoped!
No comments:
Post a Comment