Thursday, August 15, 2019

Shelly's First Trip to Africa! Ghana in April!

A graphic story depicts what I encountered at the women's conference in Ghana:

Years ago, I received a letter from a friend describing her upcoming mastectomy.  She explained that as a part of her reconstruction, they would preserve her nipples.  I was stunned.  It was an entirely new concept to me.  At the time, we were in Ecuador, and I was working with multiple women who were wounded, hurting and seeking spiritual encouragement. I was overwhelmed and feeling sucked dry.

After reading the letter from my friend, I fell asleep and had a strange dream.  In it, I dreamed that many women I knew were having the same reconstruction surgery and until the proper time, a human body was needed to keep the human tissue alive--I volunteered to be that host.  I vividly remember hosting many women's breast tissues across my shoulders and down my arm!  Needless to say, when I wakened, I mused on how much nurturing was being asked of me and how much longer I could continue to do it!

A brief run down of the makeup of the attendees
Our small, but powerful volunteer team
Though they may not have had such a vividly personal dream, the beautiful missionary women God  brought to the conference in Ghana felt sucked dry and overwhelmed. They, almost to a person, declared that everyone they encountered on a daily basis wanted something FROM them.  Over and over they expressed their gratitude and amazement that we did not ask anything of them but we were there to love, serve and care for them.

The messages on Grace Strengthened Hearts that God led me to give resonated both with the missionaries as well as the volunteers.  One statement I made that many shared as a highlight was, even in Jesus' ministry, "the need does NOT constitute a call"!



Welcome gifts for retreat attendees


















Illustrating the "All All Grace of God"
Can you tell I'm having fun?
Of particular blessing to me was the opportunity to speak one-on-one with three young women who had grown up as children of missionaries and were now serving full-time themselves.  Their challenges are somewhat unique because of their background and I've walked there!  It was an enormous joy to affirm, encourage, challenge and love those precious, dedicated women whose lifelong passion, like mine, is to share Jesus with the hurting of this world!

Mom and I donated a copy of Kitchen Table Counseling for each missionary who attended the conference!  They were soooo grateful!
Africa was a new continent for me. And what an experience!  It looked and felt like many other places I've been, but being there personally changed the way I pray for that part of the world!

I KNEW God was going to work because the battles leading up to our time in Ghana were intense. Every woman on our volunteer team experienced unusually difficult challenges.  As I've said before, we know GOD is going to show up because the enemy tries so hard to get in the way!  And He did!  Our attendees were from multiple backgrounds, with varied ministries and passions.  They ranged from young, recent arrivals on their field of service to women who'd served in Africa 40 years or more and had every intention of living the rest of their lives on that vast continent!  Only in eternity will we be able to know how God used the time in Ghana to encourage His servants!

Your partnership through prayer, and generous giving is pivotal in this work!  I couldn't do it without you!

No comments: