Thursday, August 15, 2019

March in Honduras

Flying into Tegucigalpa in March was dejá vu--I could have been landing in Quito 20 years ago.  On approach to the airport, we passed green mountains, dense city and suddenly we swooped down and landed in the middle of a bustling metropolis. It felt like coming home.

(L-R Rina and Maruja from Peru, Debbie and me from the US)
I found the Hondurans reserved on initial contact.  It took a while to wiggle behind the reserve, but once that happened, I now have many wonderful new friends in Honduras! In fact, just this morning, I received another message from one of the precious women I met in March sharing how God met her through the messages at the congress!

The ministry team for the women's congress was made up of one other American woman, two ladies from Peru and two key Honduran pastor's wives. 

The morning after I arrived, we piled into a loaded van and headed into the country-side.  The six hour trip through sugar cane fields, banana plantations, busy little cities and villages, took us to Gracias Lempira where we stayed for the following four days.
Our transportation once we got to Gracias Lempira!

Over 200 women began arriving the next day.  Many of them traveled more than 24 hours by boat, plane and bus!  They were ecstatic to be together and see friends from the previous year.  It was such a privilege to join these women.  The congress has been meeting yearly for over 20 years, mostly planned and run on a rotating basis by a pastor's wife.  Debbie, the missionary who launched the conference all those years ago, turned the leadership over to Honduran women who have developed into capable, wise and godly leaders.



Besides being the keynote speaker for the five main sessions, I spent an afternoon with pastor's wives, sharing spiritual secrets for a significant marriage, home and ministry life as well as answering some very sobering questions.  The pastor's wives represented every spectrum of Honduran society, humble little farm women and sophisticated city ladies, some very old and others very young, all wanting to be God's women where He has planted them! There were many tears.

My joy at ministering to this group of amazing ladies was not dampened by my fainting experience-I am so very grateful for the opportunity and long for more like that!

After the conference, I joined the ministry team for a two day de-brief on the coast. We slept, cooked, laughed, prayed, listened to the Lord and each other!  It was particularly sweet for me to lead them in a Praying in Color session (we only had pens--I didn't know to bring my coloring tools).  The ladies' powerful, obedient response to the Lord's voice during that session may very well have long-term impact for the Kingdom!

The most difficult part of these extended ministry trips is being away from Glen.  He graciously supports, encourages and prays for me because he knows the joy it gives me.

No comments: