Not too long ago, my friend Beth Wahl who is the women’s ministry director at Front Range Alliance Church in Colorado Springs, asked if I would participate in an interview about mentoring. Beth was interviewing different women from various life stages—I wondered aloud if I was the oldest, but actually only the next to the oldest—about how they approach mentoring and encouraging women. Here’s the link to that video interview if you’d be interested. It will give you a peek into how I seek to encourage women in their walks with God.
WHO do you mentor?
That’s a good question! I try to make myself available to women who show an obvious desire to deepen their walk with God—some are older than me and many are much younger. Another requirement is that they be willing to apply what we talk about in each session. With many, I give “assignments”, a word study from scripture, a question to ponder and be ready to discuss, etc…
WHAT materials do you use?
Another good question. I begin each mentoring relationship by covering the foundational biblical principles that govern my personal life. That lasts multiple sessions then, if a woman or group wants to continue, we move into a study of a book of the Bible, or a Bible Study written by someone else, or a book based on a topic. I have also written several Bible studies on books of the Bible (unpublished) that we can do. Currently, with different women, I’m working through the book Unoffendable by Brant Hansen and Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund. At any given time, I have a list of 15-18 women I’m either mentoring, praying with and/or meeting somewhat regularly.


No comments:
Post a Comment