I was
unusually daunted by the challenge of raising so much support for the ministry
trips and wrestled with trusting God to take care of it. I learned, at the last
minute, that a visa was required for Brazil. It was like moving through cement
to get it done. Being sick and managing the daily details of life was
overwhelming. The final straw was, while
getting cash for the trip, the man next to me robbed the bank!! I truly wondered if the hassle and spiritual
opposition was worth whatever ministry would take place in Brazil.
A team of 31
volunteers from different parts of the country made the long journey to Fortaleza.
We met up with Thrive staff and prepared for the missionary ladies to arrive. The
volunteer team spent many hours in prayer for the women, the conference and all
the logistical details. It felt as though, through prayer, we were pushing back
evil forces that threatened to engulf us and what God wanted to do. The day the
missionaries arrived, the Holy Spirit was very evident. We met them with hugs and gifts. We
volunteers helped them with their bags, and sign up for their pampering
sessions (haircuts, color analysis, make-up, massages, pedicures, counseling
and one-on-one prayer).
When we
started the meetings with worship, the women were ready to receive. I noticed a
woman weeping profusely through the first message. Later I learned that their
family had been going through an intense three months of heavy trials,
culminating in her and her daughter being carjacked at gun point just a week
earlier! She later shared with the entire group that when she arrived at the
conference, she had decided that God didn’t see her and as a result of our time
together, she was assured that He does!
I was also
privileged to give a young, new missionary her very first pedicure! As I washed
her feet and massaged her bug-bite-covered legs, she shared that her unbelieving
family can’t understand what-on-earth she’s doing in Brazil. Her parents are
frightened because their newly-wed daughter could catch the Zika virus which
might eventually lead to a disabled grand-child. How precious to hold those
bug-bitten legs and pray over her beautiful feet as she brings Good News! I also
had the joy of laying my hands on the rounded tummy of another very pregnant
woman who was waiting to learn if her baby has Microcephaly. We watched her
move to a place of joy over her pregnancy.
As the
conference went on, hearts continued to open and God moved in deep ways, not
only in the missionaries but in the volunteers as well. Women met in small
groups, shared their burdens and were prayed over. We spent time laughing,
praying, worshiping and crying together.
The above
stories are just a few examples of what God did. What a privilege to have
“walked in their shoes” and share from my missionary experience encouragement
from the Word!
Was it worth
all of the sickness, hassle, challenges and spiritual warfare? YES, unequivocally
yes! Thank you for your generous gifts and prayers that made it possible! They
make a Kingdom difference!
Shelly




No comments:
Post a Comment