Another
image is the precious ladies of New Tribes Mission gathering together for a
retreat of spiritual and physical refreshment.
Women who, some of them, had to travel long hours on burros!!—in order
to come from their remote locations.
Some were praising God for provision of funds for a missionary pilot to
swoop in and get them. Their level of
commitment to God and the people He has called them to was evident. They were weary from translation work,
raising babies in primitive settings and just living life. Several said that before the retreat, they
didn't know if they were going to make it--if they could return to the
challenges of their life. But as a result of the retreat they felt fortified
for ministry. Young, dynamic women (both Latin and American) at
transition points came seeking counsel for their future and how to discern the
call of God on their lives.
I led the
discussion group for the non-English speaking women and our times together were
punctuated with laughter. During the
last discussion session, all the other groups were very intentionally praying
for one another while our group was collapsed in laughter! When I apologized to the leadership, their
eyes filled with tears as they said that the laughter was music to their
ears!
A group of ladies came from Klamath Falls, OR to pamper and serve the New Tribes
ladies. They brought lovely gifts and
door prizes, led worship, gave pedicures, did dishes, chopped vegetables,
whatever was needed. Those precious women stepped up. A counselor with missionary experience was
part of that team and she did the bulk of the English counseling which was an
enormous burden-lifter for me!
My dear
friend and prayer partner, Verna Narwold, raised her support to join me in
Chihuahua. She took her role as my
traveling companion very seriously and I felt SO supported, encouraged and
ministered to. Even our friendship
played a significant role, as one key pastor’s wife told me, “I need a Verna!” Verna gave a seminar on encouragement and
listening at the retreat. There was nearly
100% attendance at her optional seminar and the ladies were deeply impacted by
it.
The
Chihuahua trip was not without its challenges.
As the trip got closer on the calendar, I was assailed with insecurity
and self-condemnation for having offered to do the messages in Spanish. It’s been 12 years since I’ve spoken it every
day. One night half way through the trip,
I was tired and deeply discouraged about the language flow. I thought, “I can’t
do this anymore--it’s too hard and I’m not doing a good job.” But, the next
morning God gave grace and flow AND the testimonies of the impact of the
messages encouraged me to keep going!
Many have requested more teaching and we are praying about how to paraclete the church and women in leadership in Chihuahua.
I picked up
a nasty cough from the dust in the high desert of Chihuahua which turned into a
flu-like cold upon return to the US. But being sick
was actually God’s provision to make me to stay in bed and recover from the busy week of
ministry.
Your prayer
and financial support made this paracleting possible! The eternal dividends on your investment that
we can see are significant—but there are many others that we will
only know about when we see Jesus—and then it won’t be important to us! As you can
imagine, neither New Tribes nor the church that sponsored the Kitchen Table
Counseling seminar had the resources to pay my way. Your support made it possible!
I have two more ministry trips to Latin America scheduled this year--with Glen to Cali Colombia to teach and participate in the COICOM convention in August and to Mexico City in November to work with local churches there in doing a Spanish retreat on Holy Habits and a week-long course in Kitchen Table Counseling at a Bible Institute.
I have two more ministry trips to Latin America scheduled this year--with Glen to Cali Colombia to teach and participate in the COICOM convention in August and to Mexico City in November to work with local churches there in doing a Spanish retreat on Holy Habits and a week-long course in Kitchen Table Counseling at a Bible Institute.
No comments:
Post a Comment