
"My dear,
As I think about the views from the windows of our kitchens over the years, it's interesting to think how God has worked on my heart.
When I was a little girl in Taiwan, our kitchen window looked out over the cinder block compound wall that my mother had covered with Morning Glory vines. It was such a happy sight in the mornings, although as they closed up every afternoon, I had to battle sadness. Doing dishes at that sink, I would sing favorite hymns and dream that someday a young man would walk by, fall in love with my "angelic" voice and sweep me off my feet! (I'm glad that Glen's choosing me wasn't based on the quality of my singing voice! :>))
There are many other kitchen window views over the years. Two of them allowed me to see planes coming in for a landing. I could tell you who it was just by looking at the emblem on the tail -- and sometimes could even tell what plane it was by the sound of the engines!
Over the years, God used each window view to speak to me about my heart, attitudes, passion for the world, etc... The most convicting window view has been the one here in Colorado Springs.
When we arrived here, "Fish out of water" was a
mild description of how I felt. In many ways it was the worst culture shock of my life. I refused to refer to the house at 7070 Ashley Drive as home for several years.
The more I wrestled with being here, the more judgmental and miserable I became. Some of the thoughts went like this, "I have a passion to reach the world and you've brought me to the middle of white America!" "There are so many Christians in this town and they are SO judgmental and narrow minded!" I even griped to God about snow on Pike's Peak because that meant it was cold outside! My misery and critical spirit grew.
Our kitchen slider window looks out over Sand Stone Park and beyond the park there are rows and rows of houses, condos and apartments. On early mornings the sun glints off of the windshields of cars zipping along the busy Powers corridor and beyond that - a church. I felt like I was in exile - away from everything that made me feel significant.
One day God gently reminded me of a passage He'd given to me in other strange lands and homes. Jeremiah 29: 4-7
This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
It's only after God's reminder that He had sent them into exile and His call to put down roots that the familiar promise comes, "For I know the plans that I have for you" says the Lord, "Plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope!"
As I read His loving rebuke out of Jeremiah, God reminded me that He has us here in Colorado Springs ("all those I carried into exile"). After repenting of my judgmental attitude, discontent and general childishness, I began to develop Holy Habits to pray for the people in the homes I could see from our window, to cry out to God for those families who flock to play in the park and to rejoice in the beauty of snow on the Peak.
As you know, when you pray for someone your heart becomes engaged and you love them. To this day, the more I pray for the people I can see from our kitchen window, the more I love them and this place! 7070 Ashley Drive is home!
So my dear new bride, in the words of the Lord, I encourage you to look through the kitchen windows of your future, where ever you are, and "plant gardens, build houses, put down roots and PRAY for the city and people where God places you, for in their welfare, you will have welfare! HIS PLANS FOR YOU ARE GOOD!!"
With much love,
Your "Auntie" Shelly
1 comment:
I can relate so much to what you are talking about Shelley! It's amazing, how the Lord in His love and mercy is able to turn around our hearts. Thank you for sharing your heart in honesty and truth! God is good and always will be! He loves us and never gets tired to work in us. Praise Him for ever! Big hug to you!!
Post a Comment