![]() |
| Tracy, Lienite, Shelly and Beth in Riga, Latvia |
A week ago
today I was flying home from 10 full days of ministry in Latvia. The trip home was long, long, long! It was SO good to see Glen standing at the
Denver Airport waiting for me! I
literally collapsed onto our bed when we got home after going 28 hours from
door to door with almost no sleep. Looking back on that return trip, the things
that grated on my weary jet-lagged nerves were actually quite funny and I have
had some good giggles over them now that I’ve gotten some rest!
How to
summarize our time in Latvia? It was
exceedingly, abundantly beyond all I could have asked or imagined on multiple
levels. For an overview: I spoke 10 times in 10 days and counseled 12
women one-on-one. The Monday Kitchen
Table Counseling Seminar was 4 sessions. I spoke 5 times between Friday and
Saturday and then gave the Sunday morning message at a local Methodist church. Besides that, I spoke briefly at another
church our first Sunday and participated in a leadership meeting of the conference
planning team. Of those 12 women, I met
with several multiple times to counsel and encourage. God worked deeply in women’s lives and my
team and I established good relationships that we hope to build on in the
future. Feedback coming from Latvia has been significant. The woman who coordinated the registration wrote this: "I have received many emails saying thanks to the conference, saying how deep and helpful it has been."
Another lady wrote saying that she “has won back the love for the Lord that she had lost.”
![]() |
| Lienite in her Vanna White pose |
It was also a blessing to be able to meet with many pastor’s wives to address their hurts and challenges. They have no safe place to share their pain and it was very humbling to have them come and share. There were several who did not speak English and we had to scramble to find a translator who wasn’t a part of the normal church community but who could understand enough biblical concepts to be able to translate what I said. I had more than one Pastor’s wife tell me that she needed to get more into the Word after our time together. I found these women to be all over the map spiritually. One asked me to teach her principles of spiritual warfare and we spent several hours on that! There were several with a deep hunger for more depth with God, but a number of others whose lack of spiritual depth and limited understanding of the Word and God’s work in their lives was very distressing.
| Tracy by the organ at the Lutheran Church |
Tracy raised
her support for the Latvia trip even though it was unclear what, if any, public
role she would have. Before we
travelled, she began an e-mail relationship with one of the young, talented
Latvian worship musicians (who also is a popular secular artist) that, by the
time we left had turned into a mentorship that will continue. Tracy met and rehearsed with the worship team
for the conference, gave a testimony twice AND did two hour-and-a-half long seminars
on worship which were, in the words of one attendee, “Life-changing!” Tracy had never worked with a translator
before. She did a wonderful job and I
believe that because of her investment, the face of worship in Latvia was deeply
impacted!
![]() |
| Long-time prayer partners, Shelly and Beth |
We all came
away enchanted with Latvia and her people.
We carry a new burden as well.
There are three times more women than men in Latvia. Many women do not know what it is to be truly
loved. They carry deep wounds from
childhood that are often aggravated by the church. Many have no self-concept, crippling fears and
self-image issues. I found that there was a desire to know God but in many
cases, little depth of personal experience.
In fact, at the Kitchen Table Counseling seminar which was for women in
leadership, I was compelled to explain what a personal relationship with Jesus
requires. Some of the pastor’s wives I
counseled seemed to have an impersonal relationship with Christ and the
Scriptures. Most remarked on how
refreshing it was to be pointed to scripture and that they were touched by my
obviously well-loved Bible! The fact
they wanted to talk with me was wonderful and I know that each lady came away from
our time together wanting to know Him more deeply.
That’s my heart cry, my life goal: My passion is to help women find out who God is and what difference He can make in their everyday lives. The Lord, in His goodness, allowed us to accomplish that on a scale beyond what we could have hoped for while we were in Latvia. Thank you for your prayers and support!
![]() |
| Shelly |
That’s my heart cry, my life goal: My passion is to help women find out who God is and what difference He can make in their everyday lives. The Lord, in His goodness, allowed us to accomplish that on a scale beyond what we could have hoped for while we were in Latvia. Thank you for your prayers and support!
For more detail see the posts I made from Latvia prior to jumping into the busiest part of
the week. I managed to send reports
until Thursday of our week there! This blog lists the newest posts first.
If you'd rather read the Latvia details all together and in chronological order, start with the first Latvia post, and follow the links to the "Next Latvia Post."
Read about my next international opportunity.
If you'd rather read the Latvia details all together and in chronological order, start with the first Latvia post, and follow the links to the "Next Latvia Post."
Read about my next international opportunity.




No comments:
Post a Comment