| Coffee with Lienite (far right) |
| Liga (far left) telling us about the Latvian Congress |
| (from L-R) Shelly, Beth and Tracy at the front of Congress Chambers |
We went to lunch in the parliament cafeteria and a lady met me for counseling. She is a pastor’s wife with 5 children and works full time at the parliament as well. We sat in the corner of a nearly empty dining room and talked for nearly an hour and a half. When we joined the other ladies they were praying for Liga but not with heads bowed or eyes closed—trying not to be overtly obvious about a prayer meeting in the middle of Parliament!
I am getting
the sense that most of the women don’t have a deep love for scripture nor a
depth of intimacy with Jesus. This is becoming clearer after several
in-depth conversations. Another thing I’ve observed is that there is
great frustration with the Latvian Bible translation. The newest one came
out a couple of years ago. During the seminar on Monday, I asked several
times, “what does this reference say?”---great disgust was shown over the
poverty of translation and one girl said, “I feel like we have been deceived
because of the translations!!”
We got back
to the apartment just a few minutes before my next counselee came.
Another pastor’s wife except she does not speak English. The 19-year-old
daughter of one of the BBI staff members came to translate. She had blue
hair. What an interesting counseling session! I don’t know if the
Pastor’s wife got anything to take away. But I am trusting the Lord to
speak through the translation and through the scripture I sent home with her as
well as through the love and prayer that we expressed for her. Am
wondering if the whole thing wasn’t meant to impact the 19 year-old also?
![]() |
| (from L-R) Lienite, Anna, Lienite's sister |
A few
minutes after the two ladies left, Lienite, her daughter and Lienite’s only
sister came to meet us for dinner. We walked down just a few doors to an
Italian restaurant. The ceiling was so low in parts, I had to duck.
We had a lovely conversation and enjoyed getting to see Lienite in her family
environment. At dinner we had a very interesting conversation about how
Latvian pastors and their wives need to learn how to have boundaries in order
to protect themselves, their children and their marriages. It seems like
it’s a very deep, serious problem.
We are now
back at the apartment and I am going to crawl in bed. The next few days
will fly by. Tomorrow I have a breakfast counseling appointment and two
other ladies are coming here to the apartment for one-on-one time. I need
to review my messages and get ready for the meetings. Friday-Sunday I
will speak 6 times. The Lord is working and we are trusting Him to do
more. There is a bad virus going around. Three of the key ladies on
the planning team are flat in bed with it. Lienite and Liga just
recovered from it. I am praying that the three of us on our little team
don’t get sick. Both Tracy and I feel less fatigued than we did
yesterday! Much to be thankful for.
The weather
was much warmer today. I didn’t need gloves, hat or ear-muffs. They
say the cold will come back tomorrow!
Back to All Recent Posts.

No comments:
Post a Comment