This is the eighth year that Paraclete has produced a custom Christmas card as a thank you to Paraclete donors. Our Communications team began brainstorming ideas for the 2021 Christmas card late last summer. An early idea that got traction was to see if we had any young artists among the students to whom Paraclete associates minister. It wasn’t long before Paraclete associates Mat and Jacinda Basinger connected with the idea and had students from Sekolah Papua Harapan “competing” to have their creations featured on our Christmas card.
The entry we chose was by artist Elinas Segenil, titled Light of the World. He had this to say about the idea behind the card,
Here in Papua, we use a greeting that means friendship and peace. So, I thought I could draw how Jesus came to the earth to help us make peace with God. And Christ is the light, so I could use fire. In the remote interior of Papua, we use a torch of fire to light our way while traveling. So, I made the connection between my life in the village and what Jesus has done for us.
| Light of the World, by Elinas Senegil |
We are featuring an interview with Elinas by Rebecca Hopkins on the paraclete.net home page. To see all of the entries in the Christmas art contest, visit Paraclete’s 2021 Christmas Card Gallery, or watch a slide show of the art on Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment