The following is a transcript of my Christmas message to the ladies of Northeast Bible Chapel in Colorado Springs. What you can't see in the words, is their gym, filled with beautiful individually decorated tables, the best china, women and girls in their fanciest Christmas clothes and hats, me included!
The other flavor you won't get is when, in the middle of the message, I NEARLY fell off the stage!! It was actually only a narrow (2.5 feet) platform and not very long (4.5 feet). They had introduced me as someone they appreciated because of my enthusiasm--so....when one foot went off the back of the stage, I instinctively slapped both arms against the wall, which turned out to be only 18 inches behind me and declared that it was simply my enthusiasm coming out!!
Before the tea started, I carried the big beautiful gold box below around the room. Inside there were 20 smaller boxes wrapped and each with a label. I introduced myself and handed a box to various girls and women all over the room. When it came time, they were to stand and read the label on their box. After the tea, I invited them to open their little box and find a tiny gift meant to remind them of His Indescribable Gift!
His Indescribable Gift!
Some of you
know that my husband and I lived in Ecuador for 20 years. During those years we learned to appreciate and
adopt many of their customs and traditions.
But, there were a few Ecuadorian traditions that took me a while to
appreciate.
One was what the poor children would do starting a week or two before Christmas. In Ecuador most homes and apartment buildings are surrounded by a wall or tall fence. They would come to our gate and ring the doorbell, shouting, “Regale una Navidad!!” which literally means, “Give me a Christmas!” Our first year there, I felt judgmental about a culture that has children begging for goodies…then I remembered that Americans do it too on Halloween. So, my dilemma was…How could I REALLY give them a Christmas? Something that lasts longer than candy or a few coins?
I asked
around to find out what other foreigners were doing—one family would tell all the kids to come back for a party on December 23. That afternoon our friends
would hold a large gathering with a little program, share the Christmas story,
play some games and music. They served the children food and sent them
home with some goodies.
I didn’t
have the bandwidth or emotional stamina to do that—we had small children, I had
a very busy husband, a jam-packed ministry schedule and a very weak body. To be honest with you, I struggled with guilt
about it.
So, what COULD we manage? While our kids and I prepared generous bags of candy and cookies, I prayed over the bags asking God to touch the families that these goodies would go to. Sometimes we included a small tract explaining the meaning of Christmas and we gave the bags out to anyone who came to our door, including the garbage men—praying that the love of God in us and the fragrance of Jesus that the Bible talks about would touch each one. Oh, to be able to “Give Christmas” to everyone!
This past summer my husband and I took a week to see some National Parks that are within driving distance from home. We spent the night in Grand Junction and the next morning headed into Colorado National Monument. As we came around every corner, incredible panoramas stretched out before us. It was stunning! About a half hour after entering the park, I realized that my vocabulary was severely limited. At every turn the view was more overwhelming than the previous one. The beauty absolutely took our breath away and the word “stunning” just wasn’t cutting it anymore!
The next five days as we explored Moab, the Colorado River and Arches National Park, I continually bumped up against the poverty of our language to express the over-the-top beauty that we were trying to take in. The pictures we took were a disappointment because we were trying to freeze and hold on to a multi-dimensional experience. How do you capture the way your breath catches in your throat when grandeur stretches out before you?! What words can you use to paint the wonder to your family and friends who aren’t there with you to experience it?!?!
It is
INDESCRIBABLE!
And…the privilege
we have today is to take a few minutes to consider the most indescribable,
wonderful, transformational gift that has ever been offered to you! Let’s think
about what it really means to “Regalar Una Navidad”–To give a Christmas.
I’ve got a big, beautiful box here. Let’s imagine it represents that most indescribable gift that we celebrate at Christmas time.
The Bible
refers to God’s Indescribable Gift in 2 Corinthians 9:15—I looked up the verse
in multiple translations to see the different words used for this amazing
gift.
These are
the words: Inexpressible (ESV); Unspeakable
(ASV, KJV); Indescribable (NASB, NIV, NKJV); Too wonderful for
words (NLT); His gift-no language can praise it enough! (MSG)
The Bible says that Jesus, and what He offers to the world—to us—is God’s indescribable gift.
And a
relationship with Jesus, God’s gift, entails so much more! So, what does this
indescribable gift include?
(The 20 girls/ladies stand and read the label on their tiny boxes)...
Jesus
Himself (John 4:10);
God’s Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)
Righteousness—made
spiritually clean
(Romans 5:17)
Eternal
Life (Romans 6:23); Salvation
(Ephesians 2:8)
God’s
Grace (Eph. 3:7; Eph.
4:7); A New Heart (Ezekiel 36:26)
Strength
to the Weary (Isaiah
40:29); He gives Life (John 6:33)
Victory (I Cor. 15:57); The Fruit of His
Spirit (Galatians 5:22)
Peace (John 14:27); Light (Psalm 119:130); Joy (John 15:11)
Patience (Galatians 5:22); Kindness (Galatians 5:22)
Goodness (Galatians 5:22); Forgiveness (Isaiah 6:7)
I know if we
had time, you would come up with plenty more.
These are
just a few of the many things the Bible tells us that we receive WHEN WE ACCEPT
GOD’S INDESCRIBABLE GIFT.
In the book of James (1:17) we are told that EVERY GOOD AND PERFECT GIFT comes from God. So maybe a good question to ask is WHY accept this indescribable gift? Why would we want it?
At the beginning of the Book, the story that we all know of Adam and Eve, mankind chose to trust a serpent in the bushes rather than the God who created them and met with them in the cool of the day. If you boil it down, the temptation that the serpent dangled in front of them was to be independently self-empowered, in control-apart from God.That’s
haunted us human beings down through the ages. That desire to be self-empowered
is called sin. And God hates sin with a
pure hatred because it separates us from Him, just as Adam and Eve were
separated from Him, once they chose the serpent’s way, and had to leave the paradise
of the Garden of Eden. We have ALL sinned-it’s hereditary!
The
beautiful thing is
that even though God hates sin, He LOVES us and LONGS for relationship with
us. Think of a father whose child has
cancer—the father HATES the cancer that is killing his child, but desperately
loves and cherishes his little one.
AND because
He hates sin but NOT you! He offers YOU the indescribable gift.
We all know
that in order for a gift to be ours, we have to accept it from the giver and
open it…
Have you
accepted the indescribable gift? It’s
yours for the asking! All you have to do
is tell God that you WANT His loving offering of forgiveness from the sin that keeps
you from relationship with Him! There
could be no better gift!
Imagine if
those poor children from the most poverty-stricken parts of Ecuador, came to my
door, asked for me to “give them a Christmas” and took it home without ever
opening it? It wouldn’t benefit them at all.
In Ecuador when
the kids asked for a Christmas from us, it was really important to
me that they look up from the hand that gave it to them to the giver (in most
cases it was me or our kids) and say “Thank You”.
Let’s do
that right now—Thank the Giver of this Indescribable gift. With heads bowed:
Lord, THANK
YOU for the Indescribable Gift that we celebrate this Christmas, for the life
and love He represents, thank you for giving us Christmas!
In Jesus
Name Amen.

2 comments:
Dear, dear Shelly,
You are such a gifted writer and speaker! I LOVE what you shared with the girls and ladies! Miss you and pray you all have a wonderful, special Christmas, blessed by being together! Please give Glen and your family our love! Merry Christmas!
Because He lives we can face tomorrow,
Terrie Barker <><
Dear Shelly,
Ditto to what Terrie wrote above!
May the Lord uphold and bless you and Glen and all your family throughout 2022. Psalm 84.
Shalom,
Bonnie L.
Post a Comment