Monday, April 01, 2013

Paraclete Pearls

Shelly often asks the ladies at a retreat to write down a key "take-away" or something they have learned during the weekend.  She has the women put them up on a wall to form a wall of pearls that can encourage everyone present.

Here are some pearls from those to whom Paraclete associates ministered in 2012.  A fuller set of quotes is on the Paraclete 2012 Annual Report online edition.

From someone who received prayer and encouragement:  "Even if you do nothing else with Paraclete, just know that tonight you have fulfilled your ministry!" — A discouraged ministry couple in Africa
From a pastor:  “Thank you for caring enough to come so far to love us, and to challenge us to think differently about marriage at our pastors conference.” — During a predawn walk with a Ugandan pastor

From one who received the Word:  “We will never forget you.  Thank you for helping us understand who Jesus really is and what he did for us.” — A young Persian refugee in Europe

From one who received counsel and mentoring: "I want to ooze Jesus like you  do when I grow up, and by the grace of God, I will!" — Received from a "mentee"

From a person who ministers to the poor:  “As a result of this training I have seen that through this kind of work I can greatly improve how I help and reach people. It has changed my mind totally and my compassion for the poor has been greatly enlarged. I've been greatly inspired.” — After an empowerment workshop in India

From a seminar attendee:  “I am so thankful the retreat was not a how-to seminar or a cheer clinic for "more faithfulness" which inevitably leads to guilt and exhaustion.  I need to hear honest testimonies from real people, so I’m thankful you were honest and vulnerable!” — A seasoned missionary in the Hispanic world

From a small group participant:   “I finally feel like I am ‘getting it’ as far as how much God values me.  I am better able to recognize my false beliefs and I’m doing better at leaving them behind... my walls are finally coming down. Learning to trust others in God's family is huge." — After a study course

No comments: