- Pre-sabbatical, "Release and Relinquish," a time to disengage from ministry. For me, much of our transition from HCJB to Paraclete fit here.
- Phase I, "Rest and Recovery," a time to establish margin and manage pace of life. This time was filled with extra sleep, gardening, some vacation-type activities with the family and friends, several day retreats, and a generally slowed pace.
- Phase II, "Reflect and Refocus," a time to experience God and self in new or deeper ways. The key word of this phase for me was "listening." I stopped work on all projects, even the "restoring" ones I allowed in Phase I. I cut back on reading, even devotional reading, and cleared time in my schedule for large blocks of time to pray and think. I did a lot a walking (and discovered some great trails not far from our house). Near the end of this time I did a solo backpacking trip into the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness area. (Check out the slide show on the right panel.)
- Phase III, "Realignment and Reassignment," a time to prepare for maximum contribution. That's where I am now. This is where I would have started with Paraclete if I had not done a sabbatical--preparing for the next phase of ministry. It will be filled with preparation for our new ministry (and things like working on this blog). I'll carry over some of the listening habit's I learned in the last phase as I begin networking with potential ministry partners.
I'm working with an accountability team of two other couples and Shelly during the sabbatical. They have been an essential part of keeping me on track. You can see some posts from my sabbatical journal if you're interested, and I've put a more detailed sabbatical plan online too. Check it out if you're interested.
2 comments:
It was great to be on the side of part of your time. Looking forward to continuing to share in your journey...
Hi Glen and Shelly,
Greetings from Riga.
The only thing wrong with your blog is that you didn't say that you both fell in love with each other in the back of my 66 Chevy Belair!
It was very nice reading your email update as well as the blog. Life is so full, isn't it? All the privileges and opportunities of effective ministry come with a great price in more ways that we readily realize.
We wish we could see you more often.
With love,
Chuck and Nancy
Post a Comment