Saturday, January 10, 2015

Mexico City

In November, I faced one of the most challenging ministry opportunities I’ve had to date--a week in Mexico City serving with the Iglesia Bautista de la Capital! Mexico City is an incredible place, it vies with Tokyo as the largest city in the world.  Officially the population is 20,000,000—that’s right, 20 million!  However, the actual count is more like 30 million.  It teems with people and traffic day and night—most with a deep need for an encounter with the Savior.

It was an enormous privilege to be invited to teach Kitchen Table Counseling as a class for the Bible institute of the Capital Baptist Church.  We had three hour classes Monday-Thursday evening with an exam and follow-up counseling Friday night.  Twenty of the attendees were students and daily others joined to audit.  By Thursday night there were over 30 in the class.  The group consisted of men and women from 19 years old to 70 something.  Several of the men were already serving as pastors and there was a wonderful group of young guys preparing for full-time ministry. 

To be ready to teach three-hour interactive sessions nightly (in Spanish!) kept me studying most of my waking hours!  (Usually 4-6 hours is all I get to share Kitchen Table Counseling material, so 12 hours to present it was a luxury and challenge!) Besides daily teaching, 12 people asked for private counseling, so I was busy!

The theme for the Saturday retreat was “Elegida y Muy Amada”--Chosen and Dearly Loved.  Ten minutes into the first message, nearly all 130 women began to weep and many of them cried all day long!  Their hearts were profoundly touched by a fresh awareness of being loved by our precious King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!  I spoke four times and then answered, sometimes heartbreaking, questions for an hour.  What joy to sit with an open Bible and share what God says about hurts and challenges!! At the end, I was deeply moved as they stood and told how God had used their year-long study of our book Holy Habits to transform their lives.  When they asked if they could pray for ME, I was so overcome that I fell to my knees.

It was one of the most physically and mentally demanding ministry opportunities I’ve ever had.  How humbling and exhilarating to have God show up and pour Himself out through me to touch those precious people!

Your prayers and financial support made it possible to impact the lives of brothers and sisters in Mexico City! 
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments: