Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shelly's Mexico Journal--From the Airport

I am sitting in the airport in the Distrito Federal, Mexico waiting for the Denver flight. There are so many thoughts and images – my heart is beyond full for so many reasons. To have had the privilege yesterday – on Culver’s 17th birthday--to lead 36 people to make a profession of faith!

At the breakfast at least half of the ladies were there before 9:00 – so unusual for Latin America! They were mesmerized during the message and nobody moved. There was so much emotion in the room! Many cried through much of the message. Two accepted Christ – they both looked me in the eye when they raised their hands. Afterwards people lined up for sharing and book signing. Oh the broken and wounded hearts – mothers with children who are drug addicts – at least three just yesterday, and others in Acapulco – women caring for invalid children or parents, wives whose husbands have left home and them – so much heartbreak.

When we got to the evening meeting it dawned on me slowly that it had been billed as an evangelistic outreach, NOT a training session! So, about 15 minutes before the service I put aside the KTC notes and scribbled a few notes – all the while feeling the pressure to somehow promote the book for the publishing company’s sake. Don’t know if it sounded organized but the Lord began to work, I saw tears and emotion on many faces. Luci (the pastor’s wife) told me to give a real altar call, 34 came forward. When I finished I went down and stood with the ladies at the front of the sanctuary, hugged each of them and directed them to the room where they would get one-on-one counseling. I sat and signed and counseled and prayed with women for nearly an hour and a half! Amazing! So humbling.

I am deeply tired. It feels like I can’t do much more than push myself to put one foot in front of the other.
Shelly

No comments: